Friday, June 3, 2011

My newest read, "A Pilgrim's Progress"

John Bunyan's "A Pilgrim's Progress" is a quest story filled with drama, excitement, and adventure. On his journey of a lifetime to the City of Gold, a young man named Christian meets an extraordinary cast of characters, including the terrible giant, Despair, and the monster, Apollyon. Together with Hopeful, his steadfast companion, Christian survives snipers and mantraps, the Great Bog, Vanity Fair, Lucre Hill, and Castle Doubting. But will he find the courage to cross the final river to the City of Gold and his salvation?

A Pilgrim's ProgressI've read this book several times before and have started reading it again. I get encouraged everytime I read this book for it symbolizes my journey through this life and the ultimate goal that I'm trying to attain which is the "Holy City, New Jerusalem". All the people that he encounters to keep him from trying to reach the city is some of the same things that I encounter in my life's journey. I get doubt in my heart at times. I also struggle with trying to be my own self and not be what society wants me to be. Society is corrupt and makes one feel out of place if they dress a certain way, look a certain way, or doesn't have the same views of everyone. We christians are a peculiar people who are suppose to be set apart from the world and it's worldy influences. It's tough at times as you will see in this book, but the ultimate price is worth all the struggles he had to endure. This is a must have for any book reader out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment