Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tornado Drill

This morning, I stopped by the hospital to finish up the paperwork for our base relocation package. As I was leaving the hospital, the base tornado sirens went off and I was instructed to make my way to the hospital storm safe area. I started thinking that I had just came from outside about ten minutes prior and there's not a cloud in the sky. Next, I hear on the intercom that it's a manadatory tornado drill for the base. Great, of all places to be why did I end up at the hospital for this drill? Then, my mind began to process this whole situation and I began to feel very uneasy. Hospitals are for sick people. Tornado safe areas are small. That's means that I'll be trapped in a small area with nothing but sick people. I believe I got caught this morning in the wrong place at the wrong time. lol. I ended up being in the safe area for almost 45 minutes, having my face down my shirt, sitting on the floor with about 300 people packed in an area like sardines. It was hot, muggy, and patients were coughing. I was freaking out. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I made my way to the doors, opened them myself and told the staff that I'd rather take my risk on being sucked up in a tornado than to deal with the all these sick people. So, they had mercy on me and allowed me to stand right outside the door until the inspectors came to clear the hospital for their emergency exercise. I immediately drove home and downed some airborne and vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment